We are seeking an experienced, full-time Workers’ Compensation Claims Manager. This position is responsible for proactive counseling and advice related to management of claims for employers who are enrolled in our Washington Workers’ Compensation/Retro program. This position acts as an employer advocate with a goal of getting injured workers back to work. At the core of our values, we live by one underlying principle, which is “others before self.” We’re looking for a team member who will consistently demonstrate this value as they serve our member companies.
Vigilant is a membership organization intensely committed to providing quality service and living Vigilant’s motto of “others before self,” by being relational, responsive, reliable, results-oriented, respectful, and responsible. We provide timely and practical counsel to our member companies on employment law, labor relations, human resource management, safety, employee benefits, workers’ compensation, management training, and leadership development in five western states. We are passionate about helping our members be great employers, and we are invested in building relationships with the companies we serve.
The location of this position is flexible; we have offices in Tigard, Oregon and Everett, Washington as well as the possibility of a work-from-home arrangement.
- Be an employer advocate in the management of workers’ compensation claims.
- Evaluate workers’ compensation claims details and communicate claim strategies and potential financial impact to appropriate stakeholders.
- Review medical information to determine allowable conditions under the claim.
- Use medical, vocational, benefit and investigation information to make recommendations regarding benefit eligibility, claim apportionment, and claim allowance or denial.
- Review benefit payments to ensure appropriate billing and calculation procedures are applied.
- Evaluate options for return to work, and assist member employers with Labor & Industries (L&I)- compliant return to work programs.
- Manage all aspects of claims appeals through the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals, which requires coordinated interactions with employers, Assistant Attorneys General, injured workers and/or their legal representation and judges, among others.
- Interact with personnel from L&I, injured workers, member employers, Vigilant attorneys, external attorneys, the Office of the Attorney General, and Vigilant safety professionals.
- Participation in in-person meetings throughout the state of Washington as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 3 years of previous experience in workers’ compensation claims management, claims processing, occupational medicine and/or vocational rehabilitation.
- Strong interpersonal skills in working as a team member and collaborating with colleagues.
- Excellent oral and written communication to convey clear and concise information.
- Eagerness to learn and apply problem-solving techniques.
- Knowledge of applicable technical resources for researching information required to perform job.
- Ability to create and sustain cooperative working relationships with internal staff, external members, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to be reliable and maintain highest level of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Strong analytical and interpretive skills. Must be able to analyze complex issues, research, strategize, and formulate solutions for completion of work tasks/projects.
- Strong organizational skills. Must be able to proactively manage multiple tasks/priorities simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well independently and under pressure with frequent interruptions, while maintaining high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills, including ability to efficiently use Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel.
- Must be able to meet or exceed service expectations.
- Our work environment is cheerful, respectful, and diligent, and our motto is “others before self.
- We are responsive and reliable. When we receive a question by phone or email, we aim to respond within two business hours.
- Dress is business casual, suitable for an office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The cover letter should explain why your skills, experience, and aptitudes make you a good match for this job. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Vigilant provides a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance; 401(k) retirement account with company contribution; paid vacation; and coworkers you’re happy to see every day. Salary dependent on experience. Vigilant is an Equal Opportunity Employer.