California Licensed Employment Attorney - Location Flexible
Vigilant is a membership organization intensely committed to providing quality service and living Vigilant’s six core values—relational, responsive, reliable, results-oriented, respectful, and responsible. We provide timely and practical counsel on employment law, labor relations, human resource management, safety, employee benefits, workers’ compensation, management training, and leadership development to member companies in five western states.
We are seeking a full-time Employment Attorney who is licensed to practice law in California. Attorneys at Vigilant practice law differently than what’s typical in more traditional attorney settings. We are passionate about helping our members be great employers, and we are invested in building relationships with the companies we serve. It is these trusted relationships that allow us to serve as proactive consultants, not reactive defenders. We work with management representatives on a daily basis to: educate them about labor and employment laws; help them navigate through difficult employment situations; strategize with their management team as it relates to employment decisions; collaborate on and develop policies; and represent them in administrative claims and audits. We are committed to helping our members evaluate their risks and make informed business decisions, recognizing that legal consideration is only one component of the bigger picture when it comes to running a business. We are focused on building relationships, keeping companies legally compliant, providing practical solutions to employment situations and helping our members strategize for successful business decisions. This position does not require litigation and does not have billable hours. The right candidate will be adaptable, collaborative, and drawn to the values that serve as Vigilant’s strong foundation.
The location of this position is flexible; we have offices in Tigard, Oregon and Everett, Washington. For a candidate located in California, the position would be a work-from-home arrangement.
- Cultivate strong and positive relationships with member companies
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to Vigilant’s vision and values
- Provide legal counsel and guidance on all aspects of federal and state employment and labor laws and regulations
- Represent members in response to Federal and State administrative claims and audits (e.g., discrimination charges, wage and hour claims, OFCCP audits)
- Conduct third party investigations as requested by member companies
- Collaborate with other Vigilant attorneys to improve Legal Team goals and objectives
- Conduct training and presentations on various employment law issues
- Develop content for legal presentations and training
- Write content for our newsletter and online media sources
- Visit members in-person to provide legal counsel and maintain goodwill
- All other duties assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop strong, trusted relationships with peers and member companies
- Ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a team
- Thorough knowledge of employment law
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Skilled in developing and delivering legal training and presentations
- Ability to travel throughout the state of California, including overnight travel as needed
Experience, Education and Certifications
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school
- In-depth knowledge of federal and California employment laws, prior experience advising employers preferred
- Active member in good standing of the California State Bar
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, including desired salary range, and resume to email@example.com. Salary dependent on experience. Vigilant is an Equal Opportunity Employer.